How EFT Tapping Helps With Parkinson’s
EFT Tapping For Parkinson's Disease
Parkinson’s is a nervous system disorder that can cause great difficulty to the sufferer. Emotional Freedom Techniques are very helpful in this case.
This alternate therapeutic technique has been clinically proven to help people let go of their emotional issues by working on the root cause, healing them from the inside.
Imagine taking an hour to settle into a chair, or being unable to talk because speaking feels like a lot of extra effort, or feeling a rigidness in your body as if you’re turning to stone.
Experiencing, or seeing a loved one go through a chronic illness can be draining and traumatic. It can leave you feeling helpless, alone, and often depressed.
Apart from the physical pain and difficulty, long-standing illnesses can take a heavy toll on one's mental health and emotional balance.
More often that not, our primary focus remains on treating the symptoms, aiming at temporary relief, instead of looking into the root cause. Focusing on the the psychological aspects of a physical illness may help to find a solution in such situations.
“You do not need to know precisely what is happening, or exactly where it is all going. What you need is to recognize the possibilities and challenges offered by the present moment, and to embrace them with courage, faith and hope.”
WHAT IS PARKINSON'S DISEASE?
Parkinson’s disease is a progressive disorder of the central nervous system, which affects movement (1).
It often starts with a tremor in one hand and gradually leads to a slowdown of movement, stiffness in the body, loss of balance and more frequent tremors.
As carrying out simple tasks in one’s daily routine like walking, sitting, standing, eating and even speaking become increasingly difficult, the patient gets pushed deeper into depression and anxiety issues.
Is there a known cure for this condition? Unfortunately, no. A Parkinson’s patient is likely to live over a course of an insufferable 10- 20 years.
The disease is quite common, affecting over 10 million people worldwide living. A number of celebrities like Muhammad Ali, George Bush, and Michael J. Fox were also diagnosed and have spoken out about life with Parkinson’s.
SYMPTOMS OF PARKINSON'S DISEASE
Symptoms usually appear gradually over time. The indications and symptoms of Parkinson's disease vary from person to person, because of the variability of the condition.
Even when symptoms begin to affect both sides of your body, symptoms normally start on one side of your body and get worse on that side.
The most common symptoms include:
CAUSES OF PARKINSON'S DISEASE
Certain nerve cells (neurons) in the brain eventually break down or die in Parkinson's disease. Many of the symptoms are caused by the death of neurons in your brain that produce dopamine, a chemical messenger.
Dopamine deficiency causes irregular brain activity, which leads to poor mobility and other Parkinson's disease symptoms.
Although the exact cause of Parkinson's disease is uncertain, several factors appear to be involved, including:
COMPLICATIONS OF PARKINSON'S DISEASE
These additional complications, which may be treated, are frequently associated with Parkinson's disease:
- Difficulties in thinking: You might have cognitive difficulties (dementia) and have trouble thinking. These are most common in Parkinson's disease's later stages. Medication doesn't seem to help with such cognitive issues.
- Depression and emotional shifts: Depression can strike at any time, even in its early stages. Antidepressants may make it easier to cope with the emotional problems caused by Parkinson's disease. Other emotional changes, such as fear, anxiety, or a lack of drive, may also occur.
- Problems with swallowing: As your health worsens, you may experience difficulty swallowing. Due to slower swallowing, saliva may collect in your mouth, resulting in drooling.
- Problems with chewing and eating: The muscles in your mouth are affected by late-stage Parkinson's disease, making chewing difficult. One should be on the lookout for choking and malnutrition that may result due to this problem.
- Sleep issues: Sleep problems are common in people with Parkinson's disease, and can include waking up repeatedly throughout the night, getting up early, or falling asleep during the day.
- Bladder troubles: Parkinson's disease can lead to bladder issues such as an inability to control pee or trouble urinating.
- Constipation: Constipation is common in individuals with Parkinson's disease, owing to a slowed digestive tract.
You may also encounter:
- Blood pressure levels fluctuate: When you stand up, you may feel dizzy or lightheaded due to a reduction in blood pressure (orthostatic hypotension).
- Smell dysfunction: You can have issues with your sense of smell. You can have trouble distinguishing between odours or identifying certain odours.
- Fatigue: Parkinson's disease causes many people to lose energy and become tired, especially later in the day. It's not always clear what's causing the problem.
- Pain: Some people with Parkinson's disease feel discomfort at specific places in their bodies or all over their bodies.
- Sexual dysfunction: Sexual desire or performance may be reduced in those with Parkinson's disease (7).
DIFFERENT STAGES OF PARKINSON'S DISEASE
Most patients progress through the stages of Parkinson's disease gradually, according to the Parkinson's Foundation (8).
There is no laboratory test that can determine the stage of a person's sickness. Instead, it's determined by the severity of a person's movement symptoms and the extent to which the condition affects their capacity to function in daily life.
While the phases of Parkinson's disease vary from person to person, according to the Parkinson's Foundation, the following is a common pattern of the condition:
The Hoehn and Yahr scale is used by doctors to describe the stages of Parkinson's disease: stages 1 and 2 are regarded early-stage, stages 2 and 3 are considered mid-stage, and stages 4 and 5 are considered late-stage.
Despite your struggle with the Parkinson’s disease, you can still work on it with clinically proven therapeutic techniques like Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT).
To learn more about EFT, get your free booklet now:
New to EFT? Learn how Emotional Freedom Technique Tapping heals.
Emotional Freedom Techniques (tapping) is clinically proven to lower stress, tension, anxiety, past-trauma to enable health, happiness and vitality.
WHAT IS EFT TAPPING?
EFT stands for Emotional Freedom Technique. EFT tapping is an alternate therapy technique which is a combination of the ancient science of acupressure and modern-day psychology.
It involves tapping on certain acupressure points on the body while repeating specific phrases to release stress and emotional traumas.
It helps your brain to experience peace, calm and a sense of liberation, which in turn aids all healing processes to work faster and better.
To learn EFT for use as a self-help tool or to work professionally with others the best way is to attend EFT Practitioner Training.
This treatment sprang from the idea that “the cause of all negative emotions is the disruption of the body's energy system”.
WHAT DOES EFT TAPPING HAVE TO DO WITH PARKINSON'S DISEASE?
Symptoms of Parkinson’s are caused by nerve cell damage in the brain leading to a drop in dopamine levels. Dopamine, or the feel-good hormone, is a chemical messenger between nerve cells.
Acute mental stress damages dopamine cells, resulting in more severe Parkinson's symptoms. In fact, stressful life events may even increase the risk of someone acquiring the disease in the first place (2).
This emotional facet of Parkinson’s can be catered for by EFT Tapping. The technique has been able to help reduce the severity of symptoms by clearing emotional baggage and increasing calm and positive energy.
Some tapping sequences to explore in the Parkinson's case are:
- Even though my teeth grind continuously, and it makes me feel annoyed, I am open to the possibility of my nervous system relaxing now...
- Even though I cannot move my neck forward or even though my tongue is stiff, and I cannot speak properly, I now request and ask that part of my brain which controls the functioning of neck or my speech to be regenerated and I now have full control ....
- Even though I have this unresolved, emotion, anger, fear that is causing me ...... (the problem), I deeply and completely love and accept myself.
- Even though I have this unresolved emotion, fear etc. I now choose to let go of this unresolved emotion, fear and I am free and clear now....
- Even though my brain is not generating new cells I deeply and completely love and accept myself.
- Even though I do not want to continue like this I deeply and completely love and accept myself.
- Even though the doctor said that the brain is not generating new cells and I should only be surviving on medicines for the rest of my life, I deeply and completely accept myself.
- Even though the doctor said that this does not have any cure anywhere in the world I deeply and completely love and accept myself.
- Even though according to the doctor it is almost impossible to regenerate the brain cells, I deeply and completely accept myself.
- Even though my brain and body are not working in harmony, I deeply and completely love and accept myself.
- Even though I am afraid of doing things, I deeply and completely love and accept myself.
- Even though I can't breathe deeply, I am asking my red blood cells to absorb minerals and bring oxygen to every part of my body. I'm asking the red blood cells to make my body tingle all over.
- Even though I might not have enough dopamine in my system...
- Even though my brain cells might not be generating Dopamine...
- Even though the blood flow might not be proper in various parts of my brain...
- Even though I might have a faulty breathing pattern...
- Even though my third eye is not receiving enough energy...
- Even though my mind has been overactive with stress...
- Even though the blood flow is not proper in my system...
- Even though I might have been having excessive release of the stress hormone cortisol...
- Even though some nerve cells in my brain might be dead...
- Even though some nerve cells in my brain might not be working correctly...
... I deeply and completely love and accept myself.
DOES EFT TAPPING REALLY WORK FOR PARKINSON'S DISEASE?
Here is some clinical evidence on how Emotional Freedom Techniques have worked for Parkinson's.
A man used EFT Tapping for his mother who had recently been diagnosed with Parkinson’s. He couldn’t be with her in person, so he did it over the phone.
She used to be afraid of sitting down and it would take her 45 - 50 minutes to settle down in a chair.
He tapped with her on issues like fear of falling, or how she felt that her legs were lifeless. And with EFT Tapping, they brought down her time to settle in a chair to less than 5 minutes.
Another symptom that she used to experience was uncontrollable grinding and clenching of teeth.
It would make her feel extremely uncomfortable and unable to speak. In her first 15-minute session, the teeth stopped clenching and she felt a sense of relief.
From then on, whenever she faced the same problem with her teeth, she was able to practice EFT on her own and bring them to rest.
Thus, EFT Tapping tremendously helped her cope with her illness.
An EFT student once had a very challenging client. It was a 64-year-old inexpressive gentleman with Parkinson’s disease.
His symptoms included limited mobility in one arm, inhibited movements, stiffness standing up, discomfort in his legs and back when sitting, and periodic difficulty controlling his fingers when typing.
The patient seemed depressed and very unemotionally laid out his life story, when asked about it. He had had a troublesome childhood with an abusive father, depressed mother and four elder siblings.
He fell prey to depression at a very young age, and soon after, faced the death of his mother and a brother.
A little later, he lost another brother and himself suffered a serious head injury, and since acquired the problem of tinnitus.
He was left alone to raise his two sons after his wife died of cancer. His second marriage didn’t last either.
And he lost his only remaining brother, soon after which, he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s. And even while narrating all these misfortunes, he had a straight face. But that changed right from his first session on.
With the help of EFT Tapping, he was able to slowly embrace and let go of his repressed emotions – the anger at his father, the sorrow of all the losses he'd suffered.
His symptoms started to improve, and he reported feeling lighter. He also noted that he was unaware of his tinnitus while tapping.
He started to smile more, and even cry occasionally. A major hurdle was his hatred towards his only surviving sibling, his sister.
But through EFT Tapping, he was able to look at her story with more empathy and eventually forgave her. He felt a lot more at peace and with time, learnt to be hopeful of life again.
"“Disorder can play a critical role in giving birth to new, higher forms of order."
Margaret J. Wheatley
Whether it be a stressful or misfortunate life, a mental illness, a failure, or a chronic illness like Parkinson’s, there’s always hope in the world. Life doesn’t end until death.
There have been countless people like Michael Fox or Alan Alda who, despite having Parkinson’s, haven’t given up and continue to rise brighter. Actor, director Alan Alda, in 2018, said, “I was diagnosed three-and-a-half years ago and I've had a full life since then.” (4)
The spirit to live and the will to fight through is all that matters. Remember, your illness does not define you, your strength and courage does.
It has taught me that life is short and always changing and we must roll with the punches. Every day is a gift, regardless of the outcome, and there are so many small joys to be found.
Dr Rangana Rupavi Choudhuri (PhD)
P.S. Want to discover if EFT is right for you? Book a Complimentary Discovery Call.
How To Self-Heal & Become An EFT Practitioner
Discover how EFT Tapping can help you to self-heal or to become professionally qualified as a Certified EFT Practitioner. Emotional Freedom Techniques (Tapping) is clinically proven to lower stress, tension, anxiety, past trauma to enable health, happiness and vitality.
Disclaimer: The information on this website is purely for educational purposes and does not in any way replace the requirement for medical and psychological diagnosis and treatment. Please do seek professional medical and psychological diagnosis and advice for all medical and mental health conditions. It is advised to always book any consultations with qualified professionals.
Learn Emotional Freedom Techniques for self-healing or to become professionally qualified - More
Our other seminars:
For the full calendar of events.
Other Tapping Protocols you may be interested in: