Depression? How you can help others to get out of it!
“Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also more hard to bear. The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain increases the burden: it is easier to say “My tooth is aching” than to say “My heart is broken.” CS Lewis
Depression is dark space. It can drain you of your physical and emotional energies – an emotional black hole.
There can be multiple reasons for depression, for example, stored emotions such as anger, hatred, sadness, low self-esteem can build up. In addition, past unexpected events like a sudden loss, failure or helplessness can lead to a negative spiral of feeling low and eventually depression.
According to the World Health Organisation, “Depression is a common mental disorder. Globally, more than 300 million people of all ages suffer from depression. Depression is the leading cause of disability worldwide and is a major contributor to the overall global burden of disease. More women are affected by depression than men.” (1)
EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) is a clinically advanced Tapping technique that can treat the symptoms of depression.
What’s more, practitioners of EFT report the effects of the treatment are quick and long-lasting. For example, EFT Practitioner Jane Nash found with her client that “After 15 years of therapy, including shock therapy, EFT helps release depression” (2).
There are different stages of depression and the symptoms can be treated with 8 to 20 sessions of psychotherapy (3) and 8-12 weeks with antidepressants (3).
In the case of EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques), the clinical studies showed that it was a superior treatment as compared to traditional methods where the technique reduced the depressive symptoms within 1-10 sessions (4).
Depression can affect anyone. In many cases, it goes undiagnosed and even accomplished celebrities have been found to be fighting depression (5). Some notable examples include:
- Hollywood actor Robin Williams committed suicide and was reported to be suffering from depression;
- Renowned author of the best selling Harry Potter series J.K. Rowling used her past experiences of depression as the inspiration for the Dementors – the hooded creatures that feed off the happiness of humans and wizards;
- Pop music sensation, Lady Gaga shares “I’ve suffered from depression and anxiety my entire life.”
For those new to EFT, it is also known as Tapping Therapy, that combines tapping on acupressure points while saying statements out loud to accept situations. For more details, you can download a free booklet on EFT.
Below are the steps, that an Internationally Certified EFT Practitioner can use to treat depression:
Step 1: Clear the associated surface emotions
Identify the surface emotions associated with the label depression, for example, “It makes me feel stuck” or “I get angry and then sad” or “I feel out of control” and use the EFT Tapping process to clear the negative charge.
Step 2: Explore and eliminate the past root cause
Once you have identified the feelings associated with depression, ask the question, “When have you felt like this before?” Notice the memories or past events that become uncovered. Use the tapping technique to clear negativity and emotions associated with these past experiences.
At times there can be a series of memories or just one negative situation.
Case Study by Dr Rangana Rupavi Choudhuri (PhD): I recall a case with a client who attended EFT Training with Matrix-Reimprinting in Delhi. Throughout the training, she went back to one event, which was the death of her brother, which she had held herself responsible for. On the last day of training, she finally let go of the self-blame and forgave herself. Three months later she attended a post course EFT support group meeting where she reported, with the supervision of her mental health therapists, that she had stopped 75% of her medication as a result of what she had experienced in the training.
Step 3: Identify any limiting beliefs associated with the label
Use the limiting beliefs process to identify dis-empowering thoughts and clear them. Some examples of beliefs are, “I do not deserve happiness.”
Step 4: Install new positive beliefs and future
Once the old beliefs are eliminated, ask the client what new beliefs would they like. For example, “With every breath, I am getting healthier and healthier” or “I choose Happiness.” Finally, create a compelling future by visualizing what it feels like to be free from the depression label and install this new condition or state into the body-mind.
Step 5: Have a daily practice to stay clear and clean
Situations will happen on a daily basis that can cause feelings of discomfort. Use EFT as a daily self-help tool. Just like you brush your teeth daily, also have a practice to clear the emotional-build up routinely.
In the case of Donita Packard, EFT stopped her from going deeper into a negative spiral after her mom received a shocking medical diagnosis, “There was a time when I used to dwell on the past, and with my mom being diagnosed with ovarian cancer, I felt myself slipping into a chasm. What helped me most at that time was EFT. Tapping helped me release the unwanted emotions that I was holding on to.”
If you are a counselor, a coach, or a healer of another sort, EFT can complement your practice and help you achieve rapid and easy breakthroughs with your clients. If you suffer from depression yourself, EFT can help you restore yourself to health and find your happiness.
In fact, Kaiser Permanente – one of the largest hospital systems in the US, taking care of more than 10 million patients each year – claims that EFT treats PTSD and depression successfully in 10 sessions or less (6).
There is also clinical proof that EFT is a safe treatment intervention for many trauma based issues including depression (7).
In conclusion, while it may seem that depression is an endless dark tunnel that is easy to slip into, it is just as easy to come out of it and live lives filled with health, wealth, and vitality using EFT.
Dr Rangana Rupavi Choudhuri (PhD)
P.S. Your next step would be to enrol in one of our 3-day EFT Practitioner Seminars all over India.
- World Health Organisation (WHO) Depression Fact Sheet – http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs369/en/
- EFT Practitioner helps her client overcome depression – https://www.emofree.com/other-emotional-issues/depression/depression-trauma-jane-article.html
- What is depression? Article published in familydoctor.org
- A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized and Nonrandomized Trials of Clinical Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) for the Treatment of Depression, Jerrod A Nelms and Liana Castell, 1st August 2016. Article published by Everyday Health
- 14 Celebrities who have experienced depression. Sara Altshul. https://www.everydayhealth.com/pictures/celebrities-who-have-experienced-depression/
- PTSD treated successfully in 10 sessions or less- The Huffington Post 7/11/2017. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ptsd-treated-successfully-in-10-sessions-or-less_us_59654232e4b0911162fc2f94
- Emotional Freedom Techniques, A Safe Treatment Intervention for Many Trauma Based Issues. Garry A. Flint, Willem Lammers & Deborah G. Mitnick, Pages 125-150 Published online: 23 Sep 2008. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1300/J146v12n01_07
For the full calendar of events, which includes EFT
Other articles you may be interested in:
- Here’s the proof- EFT Works!
- Heartbreak? 4 steps to heal
- The power to heal is in your hand!
- After years of a dairy allergy, EFT cleared it and my dust allergy!
- What did you do the last time you were stressed? Did you know it can be eliminated
- How healing your wound from the core can set you free!
- Stress? – 10 tips to lose stress and gain health
- How important is energy? 3 daily exercises to boost yours
Disclaimer: The information on this website is purely for educational purposes and does not in anyway replace the requirement for medical and psychological diagnosis and treatment. Please do seek professional medical and psychological diagnosis and advice for all medical and mental health conditions. It is advised to always book any consultations with qualified professionals.